Here is new topic  🤩 

Here is my signature. I can insert a picture inside like this one:
I can also insert a link like so: click me

ReplyQuote
prepadviser
(@prepadviser)
Member Admin
18/10/2018 2:53 pm  

Of the adults who live in Idaho, approximately 5% own livestock. Of the adults who live in Idaho and indicated support for a recently proposed bill via an online poll, however, approximately 12% own livestock. Clearly, adults who own livestock are more likely to be affected by the proposed legislation than are adults who do not own livestock. *
The conclusion drawn above is based on the assumption that _____________.

(A) Adults who own livestock were less likely to indicate support via the online poll than were adults who do not own livestock.
(B) The number of adults who indicated support for the bill via the online poll was greater than the number of adults who own livestock.
(C) At least some of the adults in Idaho who own livestock responded more than once to the online poll.
(D) Adults who indicate support for legislation are more likely to be affected by that legislation than are adults who do not indicate support.
(E) Adults who own livestock in Idaho are more likely to indicate support for proposed legislation than are adults who own livestock in a state with less livestock.

Why is (D) the answer to this?

ReplyQuote
prepadviser
(@prepadviser)
Member Admin
18/10/2018 2:56 pm  

Hi Annelena, 

We hope the following explanation helps to clarify the answer choice for you. 

Note the gap in logic here between the premises and the conclusion - the premise is that a a higher percentage of livestock owners supported this bill than their normal proportion of the population. The conclusion then states that livestock owners are more likely to be affected than others - a bit of a leap, as it infers the reason they vote this way is that they're more directly affected and not, for example, just more ideologically in support of a law that would affect everyone (say, higher speed limits or decreased taxes). Before you even get to the answer choices you should be skeptical.

If you use the Assumption Negation Technique on answer choice D, it becomes "Adults who indicate support are NOT more likely to be affected than those who do not indicate support" - which blows open that gap in logic that the support must have been directly because they were personally affected. Answer choice D is, therefore, correct.

Good luck studying!
The Veritas Prep Team

ReplyQuote
prepadviser
(@prepadviser)
Member Admin
22/10/2018 8:43 am  

Images display like so:

ReplyQuote
prepadviser
(@prepadviser)
Member Admin
23/10/2018 10:33 am  

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i06aAcffI_8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ReplyQuote
Share: