Forum

Explanation on day 2 GMAT homework question 5  

RSS

prepadviser
(@prepadviser)
Member Admin
18/10/2018 3:02 pm  

Hello, course overview day 2 homework question 5. why is answer E correct and answer A wrong? thank you :)

Here is my signature. I can insert a picture inside like this one:
I can also insert a link like so: click me

ReplyQuote
prepadviser
(@prepadviser)
Member Admin
18/10/2018 3:03 pm  

Good question. The problem with choice A is that it extends beyond the scope of what you can guarantee from the argument.

To conclude that "someone more qualified than McGuinness will be appointed" you need to be able to prove a few things:

-Whoever wins (if the polls are wrong we know it's not Shero, but we don't know who) will appoint someone other than McGuinness
-That person appointed will be more qualified than McGuinness

You can't prove the first one (maybe McGuinness is the only person even interested in the job), and for the second one you only know that ONE specific person (Stauning) is more qualified. McGuinness may well be the second-most qualified person in the world, and Stauning may have no interest whatsoever in the job.

Larger than this particular question, keep in mind that with Inference questions the right answer MUST BE TRUE. Which means that if you can poke a hole in the argument with a hypothetical not prohibited by the facts, the argument isn't necessarily true.

Here is my signature. I can insert a picture inside like this one:
I can also insert a link like so: click me

ReplyQuote
Share: